Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes (plus 4-5 hours freezing)
Not all zebras are found in the zoo. Merge your love for matcha with our vegan, gluten-free cheesecake with health perks! Naturally sweetened and insanely delicious, it only looks more difficult than it is. Mind you; this isn’t just any ordinary green tea cheesecake; the zebra stripes unknowingly can surprise your guests cutting into a slice. The matcha presence is really nice without being overwhelmingly rich—a perfect way to end a meal.
1 cup (150g) hazelnuts
10 Medjool dates, pitted
Pinch of salt
2 cups (300g) raw cashews (soaked for 3 hours in water or soaked for an hour in very hot water)
½ cup (110g) coconut cream or milk
½ cup (120ml) maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Juice 1 lemon
2 teaspoons Fubuki Culinary Organic Matcha
For the crust:
- Place the hazelnuts, Medjool dates, and salt into a food processor and blend until thick, sticky dough-like consistency forms. Do not over blend to retain some texture.
- Line a cake tin with parchment paper. Place the mixture in the pan and press firmly.
Now the filling:
- Place the ingredients for the filling (except the matcha powder) into a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Divide the filling equally between two bowls. Add the matcha powder to one of the mixtures and blend thoroughly. At this time, you have two cream fillings: one with matcha powder and the other plain.
- Pour one of the mixtures into a cake tin alternating the layers of plain filling and the green matcha. Repeat the process 4 to 6 times to create the zebra effect. Tap the cake tin a few times on the countertop to eliminate any trapped air bubbles.
- Wrap the cake tin loosely with cling film and place it in the freezer for 4-5 hours.
- Thaw at room temperature for around 15 minutes before serving.
Note: The matcha cheesecake can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.