Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes (plus 4-6 hours freezer time)
If you are a fan of green tea and love ice cream, then this Japanese Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream is a win-win for you! What’s more, it’s vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free. This ice cream is super creamy, luscious, and wonderfully textured with the pure, perfect flavour of Fubuki Culinary Organic Matcha. No one would guess it’s healthy! Made with the richness of coconut milk and coconut cream makes it a super delicious treat. Top it with some crushed hazelnuts, pistachios or chocolate chips, and you’ve created a pretty fancy dessert. In the mood for a scoop?
1 can (400ml/14oz) dairy-free, full-fat coconut milk
1 can (400ml14oz) coconut cream
¼ cup (60ml) maple syrup
½ cup (100g) unrefined cane or coconut sugar
1-2 tablespoons Fubuki Culinary Organic Matcha
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Optional: chopped hazelnuts, pistachios, chocolate chips
- Place the container of the ice cream maker into the freezer a day before to freeze. Coconut milk should be chilled overnight in the refrigerator also.
- Simply place coconut milk, coconut cream, maple syrup, and coconut sugar into a saucepan and stir the mixture frequently until simmering.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the matcha green tea powder and vanilla extract.
- Blend the mixture in the saucepan using an immersion blender for at least 30 seconds to remove any graininess. You can also use a regular blender for this process.
- Place the mixture in an airtight container and refrigerate until chilled thoroughly. This should take between 4-6 hours.
- Transfer the chilled mixture from the airtight container to the ice cream maker and churn for 20-30 minutes, or until a soft-serve consistency is reached.
- Transfer the ice cream into a loaf pan and smooth the top. Cover with tin foil and return the ice cream to the freezer to chill and set before serving.
- Serve with crushed hazelnuts, pistachios or chocolate chips.